Is there a canteen or restaurant on the premises where the learners can buy food and refreshments?
Yes there is. There is a kiosk where the learners can purchase take away foods, drinks, sweets and snacks.
- Is there accommodation available?
Yes there is accommodation opportunities available at the Student House near Avalon Springs – seven minutes’ walk to the Campus. For more details, please contact the Campus Manager on 023 614 1150 extension 413
- Is the accommodation payable in advance?
Yes, a contract is signed for a period of one year.
- Do you have any recommended doctors in the area?
The Montagu hospital is available or private doctors. A list with numbers will be provided when the course starts.
- When a learner becomes ill and they do not have transport to be taken into town, how do we deal with a situation like that?
We will assist the learner to make an appointment and arrange transportation to the doctor/hospital/pharmacy.
With regard to emergencies, we will contact an ambulance service.
- Will you provide a student number?
Yes we will provide a student number as soon as the registration fees are paid.
- May we purchase extra uniforms for our learners?
Yes, when you register and have paid the registration fees, a quote will be provided for the additional uniforms and you will be able to order additional uniforms.
- Are there facilities available where the learners can cook their own food?
Yes, at their accommodation there will be facilities for cooking their own food.
- Are students allowed to go to town?
Yes, during their lunch and break times.
- Where and when do learners report?
Learners report at Avalon Springs Reception at 0800 when their course starts.
- Where and when will learners be collected by bus in town?
Learners who wish to make use of transport needs to arrange it with the Campus Manager before the time.
- Is it necessary to mark uniforms?
Yes, definitively. Please mark your uniform with a permanent marker.
- Where do learners collect parcels or packages sent to them?
Please do not have any parcels delivered to the main gate or the security gate. All packages and parcels must please be delivered to reception for collection by learners.
- Who do parents contact if they cannot reach their children by cellphone?
During office hours please call Dream Hotel School on 023 614 1150 extension 413. After hours please, call the Manager on Duty on 023 614 1150.
- Do we allow learners to take time off to re-write Matric exams?
Yes, we do. Please fill out a Special Request form (collect it from the Campus Manager) so that the necessary arrangement can be made.
- Do we allow learners to take time off to go for their Driver’s License testing?
Yes, we do. Please fill out a Special Request from (collect it from the Campus Manager) so that the necessary arrangement can be made.
- Where will student meals be served?
All student meals will be available at the Canteen where you can pay by cash or meal card at student prices.
- Weekend Leave for first year learners?
Our normal practice regarding the first year students’ leave is that the students get one long weekend off per month (Friday morning to the Monday evening). As they are working student shifts, they do have off time depending on their shift.
With regards to July 2017 and January 2018 Intakes, the following arrangements will be in effect:
On the first weekend of an intake all learners must be at Avalon Springs and no weekend leave will be granted as the learners will be participating in the Induction process.
We will inform you regarding the Weekend Group allocations and will try to group learners from a specific town/region together to possibly save on transport costs for parents. However, please note that Group allocations are not necessarily rigid and could change after completion of the Workplace Orientation Program, being subject to change according to the specific workplace program the learner will be involved with at a specific moment in time.
- Do learners get paid during their studies?
They do not get paid as they use the work experience as part of their evidence collection for their portfolio building. However they can keep tips that they receive when working as guests do give tips to the students for good service.
- May students take leave other than the scheduled leave?
No, however in case of an emergency, e.g. death in the family or illness, or a special occasion, e.g. a wedding or 80th birthday celebration, a special request form must be filled out. It must be approved by the workplace and training departments before a student may take alternative leave. A supporting letter from a parent or sponsor is recommended.